AON is the leading global provider of risk management services, insurance & reinsurance brokerage, and human capital consulting with more than 36,000 employees in over 500 offices in more than 120 countries worldwide, generating revenues of over $7.5 billion.
Despite its size and stature, the company had low brand awareness and brand equity worldwide. In part to address its brand challenges, the company made a bold bet to become shirt sponsor and global partner of Manchester United, the world’s most powerful sporting property. While the potential benefits of this sponsorship were tremendous, the company lacked a specific framework and targets to quantify the impact of this $100MM+ investment on the business results and key metrics.
- Developed a holistic business case framework defining benefit areas and metric targets, including business impact (increased revenue and margin) and company impact (employee impact, brand awareness and brand equity impact, and media value).
- Developed allocation methodology and targets for allocating projected benefits and costs by business unit and geographic region.
- Developed tracking and measurement plan and accountabilities to ensure consistent measurement of results and business impact.
- Created initial recommendations for sponsorship activation activities, including projected benefits and impact areas of each potential activity.
- Gained buy-in from executive team on overall financial rationale and 5 year cost/ benefit projections for sponsorship
- Allocation of sponsorship costs and benefits across business units and geographic regions
- Measurement plan with individual accountabilities for tracking and consistently measuring business impact