Hands On Atlanta (HOA) is a leading Atlanta-based non-profit organization that enables, facilitates, and encourages nearly 40,000 individuals to volunteer locally. It is the largest affiliate of the Hands On Network, an umbrella association of “Cares” and “Hands On” organizations, that operates across the United States and in other countries. Hands On Atlanta engaged TopRight in a cost-efficiency-impact project, that when done, would serve as both an organizational assessment as well as a strategic decision making tool.
HOA has over twenty programs with varying levels of impact and cost, and managing so many programs is a challenge. They had a measurement method of impact—however, they did not have a good understanding of costs and efficiencies, which negatively impacts both management and donation levels.
- Gain greater insight into program Social Return On Investment (SROI) and tools for evaluating current and future program investments
- Categorize HOA’s programs by type, then apply Activity Based Costing (ABC) methodologies to each program
- Benchmark HOA’s performance activity by activity against both best-in-class organizations and other Hands On affiliates
TopRight presented findings to the board. Recommended:
- Automating volunteer management to focus staff on maximizing program impacts,
- Adding seasonal staffing and/or volunteer program staff to increase program impacts without significantly increasing costs
Hands On Atlanta and TopRight were nominated for Creative Growth Group’s 2007 Client Advisor Award.